Practical life on site French Polynesia
French Polynesia is 12 hours behind continental Western Europe in summer, and 11 hours in winter. Thus, when it is 13 p.m. in Paris, it is 1 a.m. on the same day in Papeete in August, and 2 a.m. in December.
US voltage, so check before plugging anything in! The outlets meet one or the other standard.
- Gémidi). On Sundays, there is especially the large Papeete market (from 5 a.m.) and a few neighborhood grocery stores. Most of the small shops are closed on Sunday mornings.
- The schedules of banks vary widely from one network and from one agency to another. As a rule, they open on weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. or 12 p.m., then between 13 p.m. and 14 p.m. until 15:30 p.m. or 16 p.m.
- La Papeete central post is open Monday to Friday from 7 a.m. to 18 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. On the other islands, the hours are quite variable. The most important offices open Monday to Friday from around 7 a.m. or 7:30 a.m. to 15 p.m. (14 p.m. Friday), the smallest until 13 p.m. (see only 2 or 3 a.m. in the morning).
Le French is to date the only official language of Polynesia, because the French Constitution prevents the recognition of several languages for a "national" territory ... Tahitian has however regained the right of citizenship in the courts (on request) and at school , where it has been taught again since… 1982. It remains that it is only considered as a regional language.
If you Tahitian (reo moahi) is the Polynesian language most spoken in French Polynesia, it is not the only one. Each archipelago has its own language which, the result of past migrations and isolation, often even varies from one island to another.
Allow 5 to 10 days for mail to be delivered between Tahiti and the mainland. Postage rate: 100 CFP (0,84 €) for metropolitan France, 140 CFP (1,17 €) for other destinations.
A large majority of offices sell calling cards. Few have an ATM, but it is normally possible to request a cash advance at the counter.
Tea especially as delivery times can vary quite widely, especially for a package. This service is available in all post offices in the territory, without exception.
- Of soul From French Polynesia to the rest of the world: 00 for international + desired country code (France 33, Belgium 32, Switzerland 41).
- To directly obtain an ope01-33.
- information: 36-12.
For your calls, avoid overpriced hotels and favor public phone card booths, present on the majority of the islands. OPT cards can be found in most post offices, as well as in some newsagents and grocery stores. Still, the rates are more advantageous with prepaid cards (callcards).
Other inexpensive options: Free and New, but the recipient must also be subscribed to them.
If you have access to this metropolis than the other way around.
The Society Islands are now connected to wifi. During a stay in Polynesia, you can book this service in advance with Tahiti Wifi, or at a Vini agency once you arrive in Papeete. Several 3G or 4G packages available. Count around 60 € for a 2 GB package valid for 1 month at Vini.
All the major hotels in the Society Islands offer internet wifi access, but the connection is often slower than 4G.