Money and budget Belarus
Money, banks, exchange
- The currency is the new Belarusian ruble (BYN), since 2016.
In January 2020, 1 € = 2, 35 BYN and 10 BYN = 4,30 €.
- There are 8 kinds of coins: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 kopecks; 1 and 2 rubles.
There are banknotes of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 rubles.
- The biéMarx banks in Minsk.
- Bank opening hours: Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 17 p.m.
Withdrawal and change
There are many exchange offices and ATMs in town. There are also some distributors in the main provincial towns.
American Express and Thomas Cook traveller's checks are accepted in banks and exchange offices, but not in shops.
When you leave, you cannot change your Belarusian rubles into other currencies. So only change what is necessary!
Budget in Belarus
Here are some current prices given as an indication.
- An average meal at a restaurant: between 40 and 83 BYN.
- A bottle of Belarusian beer (1/2 liter): 1,79 BYN.
- A soda at the restaurant: 1,37 BYN.
- A metro token, 1 bus or trolleybus ticket in Minsk: 0,51 BYN.
There are no well-established rules. When giving you the change, restaurants sometimes include the service in the bill or round up to the next unit.