Health and Safety Meeting
BéDenis is even a benchmark at all levels.
Drinking water everywhere, but it is preferable, if you plan to hike (as in the circus of Mafate), to provide your own water in sufficient quantity.
The only real risks are the sea, the sun and mosquitoes.
To stay healthy, the advice is reduced:
- Be up to date with your "universal" vaccinations (tetanus, polio, diphtheria ...), already recommended for the metropolis. No rabies, no yellow fever and as little meningococcal meningitis as in metropolitan France.
- Beware of the drawbacks associated with possible secondary trips to much less privileged regions, Madagascar in particular (beware of malaria!). Vaccination against hepatitis A is therefore essential, as well as that against typhoid (especially for long stays).
- Beware of a few rare fish: some contain toxins in their flesh which can cause disorders that are sometimes serious (paralysis, drops in blood pressure) and always unpleasant (itching, tingling, dizziness ...). This is called the ciguatera or "scratch". Avoid eating fish before showing them to someone in the area.
To protect yourself, it is recommended to use repellents and clothing impregnated with insecticides, to wear light and covering clothing, as well as closed shoes, and to use a mosquito net. In housing, it is advisable to use electric diffusers and to hang mosquito nets on the windows.
In Réunion, mosquitoes do not transmit malaria, but can be vectors of other diseases: dengue fever and chikungunya in particular (sporadic cases of chikungunya have been reported since 2005, and dengue epidemics can occur, as in 2019 and 2020).
We advise you to plan a good repellent as a preventive. They can be obtained on site.
Mosquitoes bite mostly between 17:15 p.m. and 19:XNUMX p.m.
Consult the website of the Institute for Public Health Surveillance if in doubt.
European Health Insurance Card
For nationals of the European Union (not French) remember to obtain the European health insurance card.
This card works in all member countries of the European Union, as well as in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
It is a blue plastic card, valid for 2 years, free and personal (each member of the family must have his own, including children).
Here is the list of glitches that will not happen to you once you have read these lines!
- The mosquitoes bite day and night. Epidemics of chikungunya or dengue are possible, this was the case for dengue in 2018, 2019 and 2020. We strongly advise to privilege preventive treatments and to cover the arms and legs as much as possible.
- Apart from sharks (see below), another danger to be avoided, on the beach side: waves (often tall) and currents that lead out to sea. Do not ignore the signs posted on the beaches and avoid swimming when the sea seems too rough. Accidents are rare, but they happen most often as a result of carelessness.
- Do not underestimate the usual Sun burn. This one hits very hard between 11 am and 15 pm, even if there are clouds, even fog in the mountains, especially when you go to the volcano! The very pink skins of "subways" will be particularly careful.
- Good news : no poisonous animals in the giant paws (called a hundred feet!), endangered, whose bite is also painful.
- A word about stray dogs : they are rather easygoing and rarely aggressive in the cities. The natives have a much more distant relationship with them than the metropolitan and they are part of the landscape.
- Finally, before embarking on a long mountain hike, find out about the weather forecast and trail opening conditions.
The risk of sharks
ArrêGilles and Saint-Pierre and in areas améCanot, ÉSaléAnse, Manapany-les-Bains, and the proteLeu basins, the Pirogue basin inSaléAnne, the Jacqueline waterfall at the Langevin marine ... year.
D & rsquorequins. These are areas of Canot and Les Roche-Noires in particular. It is of course advisable to check with the MNS stations before swimming.
Apart from the 22 km of lagoons and these spaces, it is prohibited.
Over the past 30 years, there has been an average of one official attack per year, some fatal, but this was the exception. However, since 2011, there has been an upsurge in attacks (about twenty), including several fatal. It should be noted that none took place in the lagoons.
It is a complex subject and a real challenge for the image of the island, which the actors try to meet together. Several hypotheses have been put forward on the behavior of bulldog sharks and tiger sharks. But we can also see that the latest accidents are often linked to the recklessness of water users who did not respect the safety instructions ...
Respect the letter the color of the flags (green: completely safe; orange: dangerous but supervised; red: prohibited) and the prefectural decrees concerning the regulation of swimming and nautical activities. Signs will also take care of calling you to order.
In Réunion, cars are selling like hot cakes. However, the road network is not extensible given the topography of the island (the population is concentrated on the coastal fringe, below 400 m altitude). As a result, outside of school holidays, there are too many cars and not enough space in the streets and on the roads. Add to that the rapid wear and tear of coastal roads as well as the damage caused by the passage of cyclones, and you will better understand why the main cities are so congested during rush hour. In reality, it is a real scourge, which only gets worse year after year!
In addition, you will not be able to converse with a RéDenis and Le Port. The road is protected by deflector nets and low walls, but this does not prevent security vehicles from patrolling every 2 hours and removing small stones ...
When it is alternating.
Despite all these expenses, the falling rocks caused many accidents, resulting in the death of several people.
The big project underway c & rsquoDenis and La Denis in the morning!
In order to dePaul in SaléGilles, La Saline, Trois-Bassins ...). It constitutes a vévoies.
- An advice : éDenis, between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. and leaving between 16:30 p.m. and 18 p.m. From ÉGilles-les-Bains to Denis and in the Repierre.
- Practical: the radio-guidance service of Radio Free-Dom allows you to anticipate traffic jams and, when possible, to adjust your movements.