Transport and travel Tenerife
Getting to Tenerife by plane
Tenerife has 2 airports.
- One is located in the north of the island, Tenerife Norte (aeropuerto Norte Los Rodeos) about ten kilometers from Santa Cruz de Tenerife, the capital, near San Cristóbal de la Laguna.
- The other and more important airport is called Tenerife Sur (aeropuerto Reina Sofia). It is located in the south of the island, about ten kilometers from the largest tourist and hotel sector on the island, namely Los Cristianos, Playa de las Américas and Costa Adeje.
Between these 2 airports, there are 63 km, or less than 1 hour of motorway. Major airlines depart and land at both airports, but most of the traffic is south.
Most major European cities are connected to Tenerife by regular or low cost flights. Sometimes very advantageous prices.
Getting around Tenerife
The bus network on the island is excellent. The Titsa company manages bus transport in the island of Tenerife. It is the most important company in Spain, by its network, and by its fleet of vehicles.
It exists a card called Bono Vía, the price of which varies between 15 and 25 € (also valid on the tram). It can be purchased at all bus stations and at the terminal. For each trip, your card is debited for the price of the trip. No date limit. Handy if you don't want to rent a car.
If you choose to rather quit at a kiosk or at a station, because it is a little more expensive if you take them directly on the bus.
The tram that connects Santa Cruz de Tenerife and La Laguna is managed by the company Metrotenerife.
- At Tenerife Norte Los Rodeos airport: all rental companies are located in the baggage reclaim room. Cicar, Hertz, Europcar, Avis. Avoid Goldcar, a low cost company that does not offer good service, and the garage is located several kilometers from the Norte airport.
- At Tenerife Sur Reina Sofia airport: Many companies. Cicar, Europcar, Hertz.
- In Puerto de la Cruz: Autos Plaza is a small local rental company offering good cars at great prices. The 3rd day is really cheap. So count from € 42 per day for the 1st day.
- In Los Cristianos: Cicar: on the port, in the ferry terminal. Convenient to hire a vehicle if you are arriving from La Gomera by boat.