Practical life on site United States
The continental United States has 4 time zones (6 with Alaska and Hawaii).
- All the coast On the other hand, the whole New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Utah and Wyoming are located California and Nevada are located in the time zone "Pacific Time" and mark a lag of 9 hours less compared to France (and 1 hour less than “Mountain Time”).
Most states apply the schedule change between winter and summer. Here, we call it the daylight saving time (DST). Arizona is an exception, however, by staying all year round on what is called standard time. Arizona, yes, but not the Navajo reservation there!
Daylight saving time applies from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November ... i.e. slightly out of step with what is done in Europe (from the last Sunday in March to the last Sunday in October).
In short, Arizona and Nevada, although not part of the same time slot, meet at the same time in summer, namely 1 hour earlier than Utah and the Navajo reserve. Easy, right?
The plugs generally deliver 110 volts. The devices charge anyway, but more slowly. Electric shavers and Epilady will idle! American electrical plugs are 2 flat pins. You will need a adapter to recharge the battery of your digital device, your computer, your tablet or your mobile phone.
In case of services, even at the reception of your hotel.
- The post offices have fairly variable hours. Depending on their size and location, they open between 7:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. until 18 p.m., or even later in large cities; the main ones are also open on Saturdays.
- The stamps (stamps) can also be purchased at UPS counters, as well as at certain postcard sellers, drugstores and souvenir shops.
- count $ 1,25 for sending a letter or postcard to Europe.
In the United States, cigarettes included): transport, shops, cinemas, theaters, museums, hotels, restaurants, bars (with rare exceptions), etc.
In all states of American West, Wyoming except, it is No smoking in all closed public places. Upon arrival at the hotel, you sign a document committing you not to smoke, under penalty of a fine of $ 250. Balcony and terrace included. And don't leave cigarette ends in the trash (even if the cigarette was smoked elsewhere!). You could be accused of breaking the contract.
Only Nevada allows smoking in bars, casinos, certain hotel rooms and ... restaurants that do not accept children under 21! States or municipalities also have the right to implement their own prohibitions.
L & rsquocigarettes included). A law that threatens to be applied to beaches and green spaces. It is even forbidden to smoke in your car if you are accompanied by minors and, sometimes, in a certain perimeter of the sidewalk around the shops.
For nonreservice, supermarkets, CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens or Duane Reade drugstores and liquor stores.
- From France to the United States: 00 + 1 + code d From the United States to France: 011 + 33 + 9-digit correspondent's number (without the initial 0).
- The telephone network: 7-digit American afixed telephone numbers are preceded by an area code.
To call from one region to another, dial 1, then the area code (regional code) and finally the 7-digit telephone number.
If you are in the same area as the telephone called, you often have to dial this area code as well, but without the 1 in front.
- All numbers 800, 1-888, 1-877, 1-866 or 1-855 are free from the USA and Canada (but not from your mobile phone, be careful).
- Absolutely avoid calling from hotels, which almost always practice prohibitive tariffs. It often happens that a telephone call is billed even if the call was unsuccessful: it is sometimes enough to let 4 or 5 blows ring in the void for the counter to run.
In the United States. Screening officers may ask you to turn them on. As a precaution, have your charger handy. If your device is discharged or defective, it may be confiscated.
The traveler can use his own cell phone in the United States, in the United States) with the “International” option, but beware, some Honor brand smartphones are not compatible with American frequencies. Find out well before departure.
- Buy a SIM card on site: All you have to do is count at least $ 25. You are then assigned a number that is compatible.
Please note, we can no longer reach you on your usual number but only on this new number, unless you have a dual SIM phone, of course.
- Once connected to wifi, you have access to all the services of the Internet telephony, like WhatsApp, Messenger (Facebook messaging), Viber, Imo, Wechat, Skype.
- More info on the mobile phone while traveling.