Practical life on site Tasmania
- GMT + 10h, or 9h more than in France.
- From October to March, Tasmania is in summer time: you have to advance your watch by one hour.
- Voltage: 230/240 volts, 50 hertz. Many hotels have 110 volt alternating current (20 watt) outlets, which can only be used for electric shavers.
- The sockets are 3 flat pins. Plan a adapter for your electrical devices.
- In the main cities, the stores are often open all week from 9 or 10 a.m. to 17 or 18 p.m.
- The supermarkets are generally open every day from 7 a.m. to 21 p.m.
- Most of banks open Monday to Friday 9:30 a.m. to 16 p.m.
- Australia Post offices are generally open Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 17 p.m.
- Postage for letters: a stamp costs 50 c for Australia, and around 2 AU $ (1,30 €) for France. Allow a week for your mail to arrive in France.
- Parcel : the cheapest shipping formula is by cargo, but you should not be in a hurry; the package can travel more than 2 months. Otherwise, spend a few tens of dollars more and choose the plane (1 to 2 weeks). Do not close your package before going to the post office: the employee must check its contents. You will also be asked to fill out a customs form, and you will be asked for your passport.
- To have mail sent to you, inquire at the pre-address your mail directly, specifying to your correspondent that he must enter your name and first name, as well as the words "Care PO" at the head of the post office address . You will be asked for your ID before delivering the mail.
Australia wants to be tobacco-free. It is forbidden to smoke in closed public places (including bars and restaurants), and even outside, less than 3 m from their entrance! Violators face a fine of AU $ 200 (€ 130). It makes you think...
- No problem finding a phone in Tasmania, there are cabins everywhere.
- From France to Tasmania: 00-61-3 + number From Tasmania to France: 00-11 + international country code (32 for Belgium, 33 for France, 41 for Switzerland, 1 for Canada) + number De Tasmania to another state in Australia: precede the number of your correspondent with his area code (02, 03, 07 or 08, depending on the country).
- The local calls from a landline are unlimited. They cost 25c from a private station, and 40c from a cabin. Please note: many hotels have their own public telephone, but local calls are charged at 50 c.
- Communications to Portable (numbers starting with 04) are more expensive, and billed by the duration.
- Numbers starting with 1800 are free from a landline or a booth; those starting with 13 or 1300 cost the price of a local call.
- For the international calls from Tasmania, we strongly advise you to buy a prepaid card, such as Daybreak, Global or OZ call. From 10 AU $ (6,50 €), they give you the right to several hours of communication. Really cheap.
- If you are staying in Australia for several months, it is convenient and inexpensive to buy a cellphone (cell phone), or a SIM card (around AU $ 15, or € 10) to integrate into your laptop brought from France. The Australian digital network is compatible with that used in Europe.
Opt for prepaid cards: communications are billed more expensive, but the formula offers more freedom than a subscription. The main local mobile phone operators are Vodafone, Telstra and Optus.
Be careful, however: Tasmania may be the smallest state in Australia, but there are still many places in the bush where we do not capture.
You will easily find Internet connections everywhere on the island: hotels and youth hostels, cafes and restaurants, but also libraries. In the latter, access to the Web is often free for residents, and sometimes for foreigners, by reservation.