Practical life on site Canada
There are 6 time zones on Canadian territory. When it is 18 p.m. in France, it is 12 p.m. in Quebec 6 a.m.) Brunswick and British New West.
Small subtlety New!
Be careful, some parks in British Columbia (Glacier, Yoho and Kootenay) align with Rocky Mountain time (and therefore in Alberta). It is therefore necessary to count 1 hour more in these parks than in the rest of British Columbia.
The outlets generally deliver 110 volts. The devices charge anyway, but more slowly. Electric shavers and Epilady will idle!
American plugs are 2 flat pins. You will need a adapter. If you forget, you can get one at airports, at the reception of most hotels or in an electronics store.
English and French Prime Minister Pierre Eliott Trudeau (Justin's dad), a staunch supporter of bilingualism and anxious to keep French-speaking Quebec in the Federation, is progressing little by little.
In the administrations under the federal government, in particular customs, airports, post offices, national parks (brochures available in French, practical not to get lost in the woods), you will find French speaking staff.
In summer, you will also regularly meet Quebec students in tourist centers. They take advantage of their summer vacation to work in the sumptuous national parks, as well as in the hotel and restaurant industry. They will be delighted to "chat" in French with you.
For the rest, you will still have to get by in English on a daily basis.
Most offices are open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 17 p.m., and often Saturday mornings.
Horribly expensive postage for Europe: $ 2,50 for a card or letter of 30 g maximum.
As in France, it is strictly no smoking in public places.
Anglo-Saxon Canada is one of the most fiercely smoke-free places in the world. Logically, the price of cigarettes is exorbitant: heavy smokers will have an interest in bringing their ammunition in their suitcase (maximum 200 cigarettes or 200 g of tobacco, provided they are over 18 years old) or better, for their poor health, s 'abstain.
Still in the soft drugs department (!), Since October 2018, recreational use of cannabis is permitted in Canada.
- From France to Canada: 00 (tone From Canada to France: 011 + 33 + correspondent's number (without the initial 0).
- The numbers 800, 1-855, 1-866, 1-877 and 1-888.
- Absolutely avoid calling from landlines in hotel rooms: prohibitive tariffs. It often happens that a telephone call is billed even if the call was not successful! Sometimes it suffices to let 4 or 5 blows ring in the air for the counter to run.
The cell phone in Canada
You can use your own mobile phone in Canada with the "World" option, provided it is tri-band or quad-band.
- Activate the international option: it is usually enabled by default. Otherwise, remember to contact your operator to subscribe to the (free) option at least 48 hours before your departure.
- Roaming or roaming: it is a system of international agreements between operators. Concretely, this means that when you arrive in a country, the new local network is automatically displayed. You quickly receive an SMS from your operator offering a pack voyageurs more or less advantageous, including a limited rate for telephone consumption and internet connection.
- Packages evous from your operator.
- Prices : they are specific to each operator and vary depending on the country (the globe is divided into several tariff zones). Remember that internationally you are billed for both outgoing and incoming calls, ditto for texting.
- Buy a SIM card on site: an advantageous option for certain destinations. Just d & rsquoci is compatible.
Then the cards to recharge your créservice, drugstores ...
- View the file on the mobile phone while traveling.
Internet and wifi
- Connect to Wireless in Canada is the only way to access the Web for free if you do not have a free roaming package.
It is important to deactivate the connection “Mobile data”. We can also put the laptop in "Airplane" mode and then activate the wifi. Note that the "Airplane" mode prevents, on the other hand, from receiving calls and SMS.
Most hotels, B 1 B, AJ, restaurants, bars, campsites and Visitor Centers have a free wifi network in Canada.
- Once connected to wifi, you have access to all the services of the Internet telephony, like WhatsApp, Messenger (Facebook messenger), Viber, Telegram, Imo, Wechat, Skype.