Practical information and useful addresses Montreal
- Quebec Original
- Tourism Montreal
- Infotourist center (Tourisme Qué873-2015. From the beginning of May to the beginning of October, daily from 9 am to 18 pm; the rest of the year, from 9 am to 17 pm. Closed on December 25 and January 1.
A wealth of information on Montreal and Quebec.
Ask for the “official tourist map” of Montreal (very precise map), The Montreal Tourist Guide - very complete brochure.
Many services: guided tours, transport tickets, map of cycle paths in the city and the surrounding area ...
Finally, it should be noted that the city has developed a excellent application to download (free): "My MTL guide". Lots of ways to plan your visits, book a restaurant, find ideas for activities.
- MontréDame Est office (between Saint-Vincent and Jacques-Cartier streets). Mede-Mars. June-September, daily 9 am-19pm 18pm April and from November to Monday 10 am-18pm. FermédéMontréal. Basic documentation on the city.
- Cité Montréminuit (Tuesday to Saturday in mid-season, and Friday-Saturday only out of season).
Free app to download: “Montréal en Histoires”. Free multimedia urban tour: a total of twenty paintings projected on the walls, the ground or even the trees of the old town, illustrating a significant fact in the history of Montreal, a famous character or a slice of life.
For Canadian diplomatic representations and entry formalities, see Canada entry formalities.
Budget in Quebec
The cost amounted to 14,975%. For hotels and lodges, add another 3,5% tax per night !
Please note, the prices mentioned in our price ranges are also exclusive of tax, unless otherwise specified, because not all accommodations automatically charge taxes (GST, QST and lodging tax). They also get along without tips.
Room prices vary according to season and comfort, but we don't repeat it every time. The lodges and inns in Montreal are quite expensive, but breakfast (often generous) is included, unlike hotels, which are often more expensive.
- Cheap $ 25 so what Average prices: Chic: 120 to Very stylish : over $ 200 per double.
Shopping at the supermarket is rather cheaper than in Europe. This is not the case for a meal at a restaurant, which is all the more expensive (as we say here) as you have to add taxes and tips (nearly 30% for the 2 combined!). See “Taxes and Tips” below.
Restaurants sometimes offer a menu “20 $ the price of the main course. We are thus entitled to a starter (soup or salad), a dessert, and possibly a hot or cold drink. At noon, the prices are generally lower than at night! On the other hand, the portions are less generous.
What we call "dish" ranges from a simple snack to a hot garnished plate.
Here are our price ranges for a menu or a hearty dish:
- Cheap Average prices: from 15 to Chic: from 25 to Very stylish : over $ 35.
Visits to museums and sites
There are almost always discounts for children, students (on presentation of the card) and seniors as well as "Family packages" valid with children under 18. We also indicate, when there are any, the free days.
Note that the last Sunday in May is Montreal Museums Day: most of them are free for all visitors.
Tobacco and cannabis
is strictly no smoking in public buildings and even within a radius of 9 m around the doors and windows of the building concerned! This also applies to means of transport, restaurants, bars, clubs ... and even on the terraces! Do not think about chomping with your electronic cigarette, its use is subject to the same law.
In addition, cigarettes are more expensive than in France.
In addition, on October 17, 2018 saw legalizing the use and cultivation of cannabis for recreational purposes.
Shopping and souvenirs
- The syrup from basic categories. One rule: the clearer, the more expensive.
- Good local products: ice cider (expensive), beer heel (more popular), especially at the Marché des Saveurs delicatessen.
- Les vêop (MEC), a cooperative as its name suggests, is the reference for campers, climbers and other kayakers. They also rent sports and camping equipment and sell Parks Canada annual passes.
- Native American crafts: logically expensive when it is beautiful and handmade. You can also find frills and inexpensive items like small toys. Choice of: pipes, moccasins, statuettes, dreamcatchers, jewelry and tanned skins.
- Deamesshirt products with its logo, a restaurant or a bar, a homemade mug, a tote bag for shopping ... A nice souvenir when you particularly liked a place, and a gift that is always affordable.
See the climate in Quebec.
Safety in Montreal
City crime rate ...
In addition to post offices, there are postal counters in large pharmacies, convenience stores, etc. These "mini-stations" offer all the services, so no need to look elsewhere.
Postage for Europe very expensive: $ 2,65 (plus $ 0,39 in taxes!) for a card or letter weighing up to 30 g.