New York cheap and free New York
Free activities in New York
Walk around Manhattan, and you will be amazed! If you want to approach New York from a particular angle, we recommend the association Big Apple Greeter proposes free walks led by Beyorkers.
As to new york parks, they are of course free (volleyball, tennis, skateboard) and games for children. The Highline (between Gansevoort Street and 34th Street) and its already iconic VesselAnd the Brooklyn Bridge Park are also very popular, with many activities in the summer, not to mention the 9/11 Memorial.
On the other hand, when it comes to visiting a monument or a museum, you will have to put your hand in your wallet. Fortunately, some museums and monuments are free at certain times of the week.
- Le MoMA, for example, is free on Fridays from 16 p.m. to 20 p.m.
- Le 9/11 Memorial Museum Tuesday from 17 p.m. to 20 p.m.
La Frick Collection Wednesday from 14 p.m. to 18 p.m.
Expect, of course, not to be alone and to have to queue ...
- - Chelsea and SoHo art galleries are also free,
- just like the 2 permanent installations of Walter Maria in SoHo : The New York Earth Room and The Broken Kilometer.
Other museums suggest (rather than impose) an entrance fee (pay as you wish or suggested donation).
Finally, one evening a year, in June, the 7 museums in the Museum Mile (on 5th Avenue, from 82nd to 105 Street) are free from 18 p.m. to 21 p.m., including the Met, the Guggenheim and the Neue Galerie.
September. Some concerts are free, others with free donation at the entrance.
Au Lincoln Center, students of the prestigious Juilliard School give chamber music concerts approximately once a week at Alice Tully Hall.
And, in bulk:
- see the 4th of July fireworks display on the Hudson River;
- the Christmas lights at Rockefeller Center;
- listen to a gospel in a church in Harlem or Downtown Brooklyn;
- admire Manhattan from the Brooklyn Bridge;
- take the Staten Island ferry at the end of the afternoon to admire the sunset on the skyline, or the Ikea shuttle boat which leaves from Pier 11 is only available, $ 10 otherwise the return trip);
- see the films screened in the summer in Bryant Park ...
Cheap accommodation in New York
Like everywhere in the United States and increasingly in the rest of the world, prices at and therefore, wholesale, depending on the tourist season. This May-June, the end of the week is generally more busy (and therefore more expensive) than the week. It is especially the hotels that are subject to these enormous price variations (from simple to triple sometimes!), The difference is less obvious in the AJ. As for guest houses, they generally practice more or less fixed rates all year round.
- See also Cheap United States.
Another option for cheap accommodation in New York: youth hostels.
- See the accommodation section in New York.