Money and budget Ukraine
Money, banks, exchange
- The national currency is the hryvnia (pronounced "grivnia"; abbreviation: Hr or UAH), in force since 1996. There are 100 kopecks in 1 hryvnia with coins of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 25 and 50.
- In February 2020, 1 € = 28 UAH and 100 UAH = 3,60 €.
- Ukrainian banks often have currency exchange services, and ATMs. Several French banks are present in Ukraine such as BNP (the best established in Ukraine), Crédit Agricole and Société Générale.
- They are generally open Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 17 p.m. Closes at 15 p.m. on Saturday.
Currency exchange office
If possible, do not change money (or what is strictly necessary) at the border, at the airport and at the train station, because the rates there are at their lowest. Prefer to banks the small kiosks housing exchange offices whose rates are lower. Try to change before 21 p.m., the few exchange offices still open by taking the opportunity to lower their rates.
Finally, do not change money at Hydro Park (Kiev) whose rates are the lowest in Kiev, and even in the whole country. Numerous exchange offices in Kiev, especially on Khrechtchatyk Boulevard.
They are found everywhere in Kiev, and in big cities like Odessa, Lviv (Lvov), Sevastopol, Yalta. According to European standards, they work well (defective devices are rare) and accept major international payment cards (Visa, MasterCard). They display indications in a foreign language including French.
In addition, more and more hotels of a certain level (tourism and business class) have a cash machine for their customers, for example the Lybid hotel in Kiev. Very practical and secure.
Budget in Ukraine
The cost of living is much lower in Ukraine than in France. Food is 2 to 3 times cheaper.
- A bed in a dormitory in a youth hostel: 72 to An average meal at a restaurant: minimum 55 UAH.
- A beer bottle 1 liter of vodka: 4 UAH.
- 1 coin token 1 bus ticket : 2-3 UAH.
There is no hard and fast rule. The custom is that we give about 10% of the bill at the end of a meal in a restaurant. In some places the service is already included in the bill. Ask for it or verify it when paying.