Money and budget Sicily
Most have an ATM on the front. Our French-speaking friends, in particular the Swiss and Quebeckers, can convert their original currencies into euros in exchange offices (open every day, even on public holidays).
Budget in Sicily
The accommodation item remains the one that weighs the heaviest in your budget. In Sicily and its satellite islands - a very popular destination for Italians in summer - hotel rates can go up to triple in August! Otherwise, with the exception of the Aeolian Islands, the prices are appreciably equivalent to those practiced in France, or even lower for food ...
- Without exception, the prices indicated are for a double room and include breakfast. However, they do not include the tourist tax, compulsory for accommodation (hotels, bed and breakfast, rental), which amounts to approximately € 2 per day and per person (it all depends on the category of the hotel ).
- People traveling alone are at a disadvantage: the price of single rooms is often the same as that of doubles. Many hotels offer family rooms.
- Overall, we can say that the low season runs from November to March. Everything then becomes more reasonable.
- Book your accommodation as early as possible. It is safer and it often allows, especially in cities, if you book online, to take advantage of significant reductions.
- Always send you information by e-mail and ask for an acknowledgment of receipt.
- Breakfast is almost always included in the prices of B & B, hotels and guesthouses: we therefore only indicate it for those of our addresses which do not offer it or which require a supplement.
- The rental of apartments, offered by many organizationsagritourism (agriturismi), can be advantageous. Savings not only on overnight stays, but also on meals.
- For backpackers on a tight budget, there are AJ or hostels (however few in certain parts of the island), a few inexpensive guest rooms which also sometimes offer triples or quads if you are traveling in a group of people, the old convent and the campsites (not given in high season however), including some provide bungalows or caravans at a price quite lower than that of a hotel room.
- A French hotel star. This shift is valid for all categories.
For a standard double room in high season, you must count:
- cheap average prices: from 60 to classier : from 100 to 150 €.
In Wind turbines, this range is quite widely pulled up ...
- Always ask if € 20 for lunch can double the price in the evening.
- If you are not offered carte when arriving at a restaurant, ask for it ! Because if you decide is not necessarily cheaper than those of the card.
- Attention to 50 € / kg), depending on the price of the day. The addition can then rise very quickly.
- A nice plan for lunch is to go to a food (small food store) for have a panino made up by drawing from the refrigerated display case.
The following prices are for a full meal per person, drink not included :
- On the go / trè Cheap Average prices: from 20 to Classier : from 30 to 50 €.
Tips, service and food
Do not be surprised to see your bill increased by the traditional pane e coperto (bread and cutlery; applied in most restaurants). It varies between 1,50 and 3 €, (on the Aeolian Islands, it is not uncommon to see it at 4, or even 5 € per person!). Only snacks do not apply cover - and again ...
On the other hand, mineral water is not too expensive (around € 2 a large bottle) and no tip is expected at the end of the meal (which obviously does not prevent you from leaving one if the service and the meal you liked).
Visits to churches and museums
- Churches are in principle free, except for access to sacristies, chapter rooms or crypts containing tesori (treasures). However, sometimes they are not (in cities like Erice - in African Sicily - or Syracuse, etc.) or that there is a little heavy emphasis on the possibility of leaving a small coin (or a large bill, it's up to you!), but it's generally for a good cause: this money is indeed the one that allows to restore, to save and to open these buildings to the visit.
For the rest, the prices of the sites or museums Good to know: Entrance to national sites and museums is free on 1st Sunday of the month. Some cities also offer combined passes or tickets to facilitate access to their museums.
- The professors and the evous thus of your card d & rsquo Museums do not always accept payment cards; provide cash!
- Finally, the tradition of tip (the sleeve) wanted the work without forcing the hand (1 to 2 €) ...
Shopping and souvenirs from Sicily
Food products, once tasted at home, extend the taste of your vacation a little: wines, oil, condiments, pastry, confectionery, etc. But be careful, don't forget to slip them into your checked baggage, otherwise they may be confiscated at security, especially liquids. And beware of overweight luggage!
- Olive oil : like everywhere in Mé Wines: we cannot advise you too much Here Real pasta (frutta Martorana) : fruits in pa Cé Cap : it is called il berretto in Italian and la coppola in Sicilian. Get loose at Papyrus: Syracuse prides itself on being Pupi: not to be confused with putti, which are the angels present in abundance in the decoration of baroque churches! The pupi are the puppets whose shows can be seen in Palermo, Syracuse or near Acireale.