Mexico thematic routes
Culture and "old stones"
This is one of the strengths of the country. Featured:
- the archaeological site of Teotihuacán, for its imposing pyramids (the one known as "of the Sun" is the largest on the continent)
- the fortified city of Xochicalco, also classified as World Heritage by Unesco
- one of the 7 wonders of the modern world: Chichén Itzá, Mayan site in Yucatán, to the east.
- the Mayan ruins of Cobá, of the Río Bec (Calakmul) and those of Chiapas (Palenque, Bonampak, Yaxchilán), emerging from the jungle.
Change of epoch in the center of the country.
- The colonial towns (many are listed as World Heritage) are jostling, both south of Mexico (Taxco, Puebla, Oaxaca ...) and north (Morelia, Pátzcuaro, Querétaro, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, San Luis Potosí , Zacatecas ...).
- And, of course, with its many churches and art museums - not to mention the famous National Museum of Anthropology.
In short, pre-Columbian or Baroque art lovers will be delighted!
With family, with children
The country is diverse enough to offer activities that will appeal to adults and children alike.
- Starting with the superb beaches of the Caribbean coast, where you can take it easy or enjoy the fun in the many amusement parks set up around the cenotes, for snorkelling or even ziplining.
- In Yucatá, a country full of Mayan sites and vestiges such as Tulum, Cobá or Chichén Itzá.
- Elsewhere, budding backpackers are sure to appreciate Mexico's natural and artisanal riches:
- gathering of monarch butterflies (in winter), on the highlands,
- indigenous and colorful markets of Chiapas,
- spectacular Cacahuamilpa caves in southern Mexico City, etc.
Nature and landscapes
- The deserts of the North, popularized by Hollywood with westerns
- The tropical zones of the South, towards Chiapas and Guatemala,
- The sierras bristling with cacti that cross the heart of the country
- The coconut-lined beaches of Yucatán
- The chain of volcanoes (Popocatépetl at the head) in the south of Mexico, offering in good weather a real postcard decor
- The 2nd largest barrier reef in the world in front of Isla de Cozumel, a diver's paradise
See our reports on the beaches of the Pacific in Mexico and the beaches of Yucatán.
Mexican cuisine is one of the few to be inscribed on the Intangible Heritage of Unesco. With its tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, pozoles, not to mention some crispy insects, the famous sauces including cocoa (mole) and chili of course, it has a real personality!