Activities, museums and outings New York
What are the activities to do in New York?
New York has more than 150 museums, the most beautiful and diverse in the country (along with those in Washington DC). The Metropolitan Museum of Art (Met) or the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) alone would justify a trip to New York!
- Weekly closing days (often Mondays) fluctuate depending on the museum; it is always prudent to inquire before moving to visit. Conveniently, the MoMA and the Met are open every day. Most museums are, however, closed on public holidays.
- Entredonation price "if you're really broke ...
There are several pass formulas for tourist activities in New York:
New York activity pass formulas
- The Citypass, the most popular, focused 17 years). Thread.
The CityPass, which comes in the form of a booklet with vouchers, can be purchased at the counter of one of the sites (or at the tourist office).
- The New York City Explorer Pass, very flexible since you can choose from around fifty options: 3, 5, 7 or 10 places you want to visit (validity: 30 days). Be careful, the formula is not always interesting. Add up the entrance fee for planned tours (some are free on certain days!) And compare. Rates: $ 84 to $ 199 (children $ 65 to $ 145).
- Finally, the New York Pass, reê12 years.
- Free changing rooms in all museums for clothes and bags (except at the Natural History Museum: $ 2). On the other hand, they refuse laptops and other valuables (iPad, smarphone, etc.).
If the ComéYorkais call on-broadway) concentrated Broadway.
Shows off-broadway are therefore no worse, it's just a question of room size and budget. Offs also have their advantages: the freedom of tone and the proximity of the stage and the actors to the spectators. And then, some off are springboards to then move on to the big stages. Because the objective of all these shows remains, of course, profitability.
If the price of tickets remains high (from 50 to more than $ 200 depending on the show and the category), there is fortunately a way to find places at reduced prices (to see further). Please note, most theaters have a break on Mondays.
Now remains toend, as well as the weekly Time Out New York.
If you want to see your favorite actors play "for real", know that big Hollywood stars regularly appear in New York (on Broadway, at Lincoln Center ...) in classic or contemporary plays.
But to benefit from it, it is better to have a level of English higher than that of the bac!
Classical music and music hall
- Don't miss a opetite price (around $ 25-35), and there are last minute discounts.
- Lincoln Center Festival: 3 weeks in July-August. International Festival of Theater and Opera.
- Lincoln Center Midsummer Night Swing : from the end of June to July. We dance in the beautiful setting of Lincoln Center Square and the Met Opera. Different musical programming each day: swing, salsa, merengué, tango, etc. A sort of small marquee is erected in the middle with a live orchestra.
- At Carnegie Hall, classical concerts practically every day with pianists, violinists ... young talents or confirmed. The best plan is to show up at the box office around 11 a.m. on the day of the performance: unsold seats (often with limited view) are $ 10. Request a rush ticket.
- Those who like it music hall will go to Radio City Music Hall (Rockefeller Center). During the holiday season, the Rockettes synchronized dance show is a must of its kind.
Pop and rock concerts
- Numerous outdoor concerts in summer, which adds to the charm of New York. The most famous is Summer Internship which takes place from June to August in Central Park (Rumsey Playfield, towards the middle of the park). The best international pop groups perform there.
- The big hitters perform at Madison Square Garden and Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
- And then new talents are discovered in the clubs and bars of the Lower East Side and Brooklyn (in particular Williamsburg).
The Velvet Underground (sponsored by Andy Warhol), the provocative New York Dolls, the poet Patti Smith, Kiss and their extravagant make-up, Ramones, Television, Talking Heads, Blondie ... are emblematic groups formed in New York, inexhaustible creator of rockers.
- See the thematic rock route
Sports and Recreation
New Yorkers, like most Americans, are sports fades : gym, weight training, yoga, jogging, early in the morning or after work during the week (even at noon). You'll see a bunch of them running around on treadmills watching TV, earphones plugged into your ears in every gym all the way to the Financial District. On Sundays, everyone meets in Central Park to run, cycle or rollerblade. You can practice all kinds of sporting activities in the heart of Manhattan and even go kayaking on the Hudson River, or go to the beach in 1 hour on the subway!
Cycling in New York
Get ready in the last car, which is often less full.
Some corners are pre-wired. The shores of the East River, near DUMBO (breathtaking view of Manhattan), or the quiet streets of Williamsburg are among the nicest places. Last spot to put on your list: Governors Island, accessible only in summer.
- CitiBike: Yorker. 12 veservice (usable beyond this, additional charges apply per 000 minutes ($ 15). Please note, the bill can go up quickly if you exceed 3 minutes per trip, so remember to return your bike to take it back. another if you are going for a ride Remember that CitiBike is not a bicycle rental company, but a short-distance and short-term transport service.
- Veer rental companies $ 15 from $ 60 per day (to be returned before closing).
Sports meetings and tournaments
Sport, New Yorkers do it and they will also see it in stadiums. Baseball, basketball, high school football.