Accommodations and hotels National parks of the American West
Camp in the National Parks of the American West
They are found almost everywhere, large, small, trècars), sometimes leaving very little room for tents. Never very glamorous.
If you plan to buy a stove, opt for an international model with Primus type screw because compatible refills will be easier to find on site (it is forbidden to carry them on board planes).
There are 2 types of campsites: national campsites and private campsites.
National or state campsites (national or state campgrounds)
They are found in National Parks, National Monuments, National Recreation Areas, National Forests and State Parks.
These campgrounds are ge30 $ in géci is paying according to the period when one reserves.
In the less frequented campgrounds, it is necessary deposit an envelope with the price of the night in a terminal, at the entrance, by noting on the envelope your name and address, the registration number of the car and that of the chosen location. Don't try to take advantage of it! The fine is steep in the event of a proven mobbing.
L & rsquo6h). There are always toilets, picnic tables and barbecues, but not necessarily showers, electricity or drinking water (even water at all in the most Spartan; in cold areas, it is is only connected from April or May).
We cannot recommend too much that you book in advance when possible (usually up to 6 months), especially for travel in high season. However, in some park campsites this is not possible. In that case, first come is first served. Try to arrive as early as possible if you want a small chance to find a free site (or take advantage of a cancellation), especially in the middle of summer.
Think of do your shopping in a supermarket before entering the park. Shops are scarce or more expensive and less well supplied.
Finally, don't crust at your expense ...
Reservations for camping in national parks
- On the Internet : recreation.gov. This is the most convenient, although it is necessary to register to access the system. You pay by card online and you can even choose your location, with the exact location in the campsite and availability displayed in real time;
- by té877-444-6777 from the United States, or (518) 885-3639 from abroad;
- Reservations for camping in State Parks: this makes it possible to reserve in advance a site in one of the State campsites open for reservation (this is not the case for all). As for national parks, payment is made by credit card.
- Arizona State Parks: Reservations possible for 15 campsites only. $ 5 fee.
- California State Parks : Booking possible up to 6 months in advance. $ 8 fee for each campsite. In summer, this system is beset by calls. Call midday and midweek.
- Colorado State Parks : Booking possible in all campsites.
- Nevada State Parks : No reservation possible, all pitches are “1st come, 1st served”.
- New Mexico State Parks : Reservations possible up to 6 months in advance in around thirty parks.
- Utah State Parks: Reservations possible 4 months in advance. $ 8 fee.
- Wyoming State Parks: Reseptember.
There are none in national parks, but some are located nearby. Suddenly, they are less wild, especially since they are most often by the roadside to facilitate access.
The main advantage of these private campsites is that they offer many more amenities and services : complete sanitary facilities, electricity, washing machines, small grocery store, ATM ...
In some, there is even a swimming pool, jacuzzi, restaurant, wifi, kitchen, children's games ...
Of course it's much more expensive than park campsites ($ 30 to $ 50 for 2 people). These campsites often offer wooden bungalows (cabins) or mobile homes for rent at the same price (or even less) than a room in a small motel, but sheets are not always provided. Most cabins have a queen bed and 2 bunk beds, and share common sanitary facilities. Some have their own shower, sometimes a fridge, heating, AC or a fan.
There are chaci also offers a subscription card (Value Kard Rewards) valid for 1 year, which costs around $ 30 and entitles you to a 10% reduction.
- See also all the information on the United States: hotels, motels, Bed & Breakfast ...