Pay less for your SNCF journey in 5 steps
1. If you can make your train reservation well in advance, you'll pay less if you do it three months in advance. This technique is not 100% reliable, but it can save up to 50% of the price of the normal ticket. But you have to be quick, because places are leaving quickly!
2. Another technique is to regularly monitor Prem's tickets; there are often good deals there, the prices of which are very reduced. These reduced prices are very favorable if you are traveling on a staggered basis and you book in advance. Admittedly, Prem's tickets are not refundable, however they can be exchanged (at an additional cost) five hours before departure by Internet or by telephone.
3. Taking your ticket with a flexible date can also be another solution for the most popular journeys - for a TGV Paris Marseille ticket for example. Then consult the calendar of the best prices.
4. A few years ago, a new service was set up by the SNCF, which is called OuiGo. TGV tickets are even cheaper, but you have to travel very light and not always in so-called “classic” stations, a bit like low-cost airline companies. But admit that a Lyon-Paris (finally Marne-la-Vallée) at 10 euros, it looks great!
5. There is still a solution which remains the least expensive: the second-hand train ticket. You can go to KelBillet but also to Trocdestrains, eBay, PriceMinister, zePass, where you can do excellent business. Be careful, always check which seller you are dealing with.
You can therefore leave and travel at a reduced price this summer if you have the time to research, if you also have the soul of a browser, and especially if you regularly surf the Internet. And finally, I invite you to take a look at our other tips for traveling much cheaper!